Painting is one of the easiest and most impactful DIY projects for homeowners to quickly update their homes. Whether it’s a new look in a master bathroom, adding a pop of color to the guest room, finishing off a basement remodel or anything in-between, a fresh coat of paint provides a fresh spin that’s all your own. To make your painting project go smoothly, consider following these important steps before diving in to your DIY painting project.
4 Steps for DIY Paint Project Success
(Family Features) Painting is one of the easiest and most impactful DIY projects for homeowners to quickly update their homes. Whether it’s a new look in a master bathroom, adding a pop of color to the guest room, finishing off a basement remodel or anything in-between, a fresh coat of paint provides a fresh spin that’s all your own.
To make your painting project go smoothly, consider following these important steps. Take this task list from the experts at Purdy Professional Painting Tools into account before diving in to your DIY painting project.
Find inspiration. Having a final design in mind before starting your project can help you plan. From the obvious wall color to more intricate details like painting trim, doors, the ceiling and more, starting your project with a plan can help you avoid multiple trips to the store.
Remember, the details are important: incorporating the correct types and sheens of paint, using complementary colors, buying the proper amount of paint and more.
Collect the right tools. Part of the planning process includes ensuring you have the proper tools for the project. A paint brush, roller cover, roller frame, paint tray and extension pole are the basic essentials for your project’s success. From step ladders and putty knives to wood filler and drop cloths, it’s crucial to have everything you need.
However, keep in mind that not all tools are created equal. For example, when you use a high-quality paint brush, you’re more likely to paint straight lines when cutting in to corners and walls. You may also notice a much smoother finish, one without unsightly brush strokes, which means a more visually appealing result with less effort, too. One option is Purdy Brushes, which are specially designed and hand-crafted to ensure you get professional-quality results every time.
Prepare the area. Proper planning for your project depends on which room in the house you’re painting. The main rules of thumb include removing everything from your walls – including curtains, decor and switch plates – using drop cloths to cover floors; removing or lowering light fixtures from the ceiling; and emptying the room of tables, lamps, furniture and other movable objects. If this isn’t possible, push all the pieces to the center of the room and cover with drop cloths.
Don’t forget to prepare the surface you are going to paint. Patch and sand any holes or imperfections. Then wipe down surfaces you plan to paint with warm water, which helps remove dirt and dust that can sometimes prevent paint from adhering. If possible, open windows for better ventilation once you’re ready to start.
Clean up. When the painting process is finished and you’re appreciating the hard work, don’t forget the job isn’t done until you’ve properly cleaned up. Paint brushes and roller covers should be washed promptly after use to ensure they can be used again. Use warm water and mild detergent to clean then let air dry. If you end up with leftover paint, it can be helpful to save some for future touch-ups. One helpful tip is to write on the can what room or walls you painted, the date and color name. This information can be beneficial should you need to purchase more paint at a later date.
Find a tool selector to help you find the best brushes, roller covers and painting accessories for your project at purdy.com.SOURCE:
Before the dull and dreary days of winter set in, you still have plenty of time to update your home’s curb appeal with these ideas for applying pops of color that add a cheerful touch to offset the oncoming gray weather.
5 Easy Ways to Add Colorful Curb Appeal
(Family Features) Before the dull and dreary days of winter set in, you still have plenty of time to update your home’s curb appeal with pops of color that add a cheerful touch to offset the oncoming gray weather.
Get a Step Up with Railings
Create DIY Doormats
Put the Spotlight on Light Fixtures
Pretty Up Planters
Refresh Patio Furniture
Explore more ideas to give your home a seasonal color boost at TodayWeSpray.com.SOURCE:
(BPT) - A bathroom renovation is a highly desired home improvement, but many homeowners put off making updates due to the perceived cost. Fortunately, you don't need a complete remodel to get the bathroom of your dreams — nor do you need to break the bank.
These six ideas for updating a bathroom will help you elevate the space and add value to your home without a high price tag:
1. Lighting: There are three main types of lighting: ambient, task and accent. Ambient provides overall lighting, task helps you perform a function, and accent highlights certain features. You may not have all of these in the bathroom, but you can enhance functionality by evaluating existing lighting and updating if necessary. For example, new task lighting might help you get ready in the morning. If lighting is adequate, simply update fixtures for a fresh look.
2. Faucet: A focal point of the bathroom, the faucet is often overlooked as a key space for updating with impact. Replacing a faucet is one of the most affordable ways to refresh the look of the bathroom. Check out the Studio S bathroom faucet collection, which is the perfect choice if you want to add a modern touch to your bathroom without hurting your wallet.
3. Paint: It's amazing how color can transform a space. If you want to make a big impact without much investment, you can't go wrong with paint. Remember to choose a paint appropriate for the bathroom environment, where it can be more humid. Mold- and mildew-resistant options are a smart choice. When considering paint and supplies, don’t forget to look up and tackle the ceiling, too. The visual impact of a freshly coated ceiling is undeniable.
4. Toilet: Is your toilet dated and constantly dirty? Consider a new affordable upgrade that makes cleaning a breeze. The VorMax Plus self-cleaning toilet from American Standard cleans and freshens the toilet bowl with every flush, offering an effortless cleaning experience. The self-cleaning technology has been independently verified to clean the bowl two times better than conventional toilets, so enjoy putting those rubber gloves away for a while because your throne will be fit for a king or queen.
5. Hardware: Subtle details in a bathroom can tie the room together, just like the perfect necktie or necklace makes an outfit. By updating the hardware and other extras that make a space functional, you'll also be modernizing the style, which will instantly breathe new life into a tired space. Try replacing the knobs and handles on the vanity. Get a new shower rod and curtain. Update the towel rack to match and add some fresh linens. It doesn't cost much but provides a change you'll instantly appreciate.
6. Shower: Are you longing for a new shower space but think it's too difficult or expensive to upgrade? The GROHE Retro-fit Shower System is the perfect option for replacing your old shower because it installs quickly and there’s no need to get behind the wall. It works with your existing plumbing setup, so you can save time and money. Its simple installation process means less chaos, and you'll get to enjoy your new shower faster.
Updating your bathroom and staying on budget is possible with affordable enhancements that instantly transform a space. From budget-friendly paint to easy-to-install shower systems, many options can breathe new life into your bathroom spaces, adding touches of style, convenience and luxury.
If you’ve ever opened your closet doors and been depressed by what you see, it may be time to rethink your closet. Treating yourself to your dream closet and introducing a new level of organization can help provide a fresh perspective. To get started on your closet makeover, consider these tips.
3 Tips to Create Your Dream Closet
(Family Features) If you’ve ever opened your closet doors and been depressed by what you see, it may be time to rethink your closet.
In fact, according to a One Poll survey on behalf of ClosetMaid, 57 percent of women admitted having an organized closet would make finding what they’re looking for faster and easier while 3 out of 10 said an organized closet would make mornings less stressful.
However, treating yourself to your dream closet and introducing a new level of organization can help alleviate those worries and provide a fresh perspective. To get started on your closet makeover, consider these tips:
Assess Your Needs
Make Your Dream a Reality
Customize Your Space
With your dream closet complete, the only thing left to worry about is keeping it in tip-top shape. For more closet makeover tips and solutions, visit ClosetMaid.com.SOURCE:
Even if you’re not terribly handy, there are many simple household repairs that you can easily do yourself to avoid unnecessary time and expense. This is especially true in the winter, when little improvements can make a big difference in your comfort and energy consumption. These common household fixes to winter-proof your home are easy enough for a novice, but might just give you a boost of confidence to tackle bigger projects in the future.
5 DIY Winter Home Repair Hacks
(Family Features) Even if you’re not terribly handy, there are many simple household repairs that you can easily do yourself to avoid unnecessary time and expense. This is especially true in the winter, when little improvements can make a big difference in your comfort and energy consumption.
If you’re like most people, your home is your single largest investment, so it’s common to be apprehensive about tackling home repairs if you have little experience. However, learning to do some basic home maintenance is a smart way to protect and maintain your home’s value without having to locate, schedule and supervise a contractor.
These common household fixes to winter-proof your home are easy enough for a novice, but might just give you a boost of confidence to tackle bigger projects in the future.
Seal air leaks
Photo courtesy of Getty ImagesSOURCE:
Interested in Publishing on The Home Idea?
Send your query to the Publisher today!