(BPT) - Pull back the drapes, crack open the window and let in the warm, sun-soaked air. That’s right, spring is right around the corner and that means it’ll soon be time to chase away the grime and odors that have settled in over the long winter.
For many, spring cleaning is something of a tradition, a ritual. But things have changed. The days of dipping an old mop into a tin bucket filled with gray water belong to another era. In the age of smart cars and smartphones, cleaning has become smarter as well.
Here are a few smart innovations that will make your spring cleaning routine much more efficient and thorough.
1. Freshen up your style. A change in seasons is the perfect time to change up your wardrobe. Take advantage of this transitional period to purge items you haven’t worn in 12 months or more — be honest with yourself! When you’re free of unnecessary items, indulge in a trip to a specialty store offering storage and organization products to uncover new space-saving solutions. Unsure of what to get rid of? If a beloved item just needs a little love, run it through a steam-powered clothing care system like the LG Styler or delicates cycle in the LG TWINWash system — both certified by AAFA as asthma and allergy friendly(R) — to see if it’s salvageable.
2. Breathe easy. It’s easy to spend the lion's share of your time trying to tackle the stains, dust and smudges in your home. However, one of the most important parts of your home to clean is the part you can’t see. We’re talking about air quality, of course. Opening windows and placing plants around your home is a good way to start, but if you really want to get serious, put an LG PuriCare Air Purifier to work. With sensors to monitor the air quality, this cutting-edge purifier is certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, and is perfect for anyone who suffers from allergies.
3. Multitask like never before. By now, most of us are familiar with robot vacuums. Having one of these zoom around your home on cleaning days frees you up to do other things, saving you time and making manual vacuuming a thing of the past. Over the years, the technology has advanced so that nowadays these nifty cleaning assistants are quieter than ever before — some even come equipped with a camera to monitor your home while you're away!
4. Use the power of light. The battle against germs is a year-round endeavor. This spring, instead of repeating the old routine of a rag and some harsh cleaner, which often can spread more germs than it kills, try a UV sanitizing wand. These simple devices use a powerful ultraviolet light to kill odor-causing bacteria and germs on hard surfaces. It’s the same technology used in many hospitals and is perfect for bathrooms, kitchens, even cleaning your kids’ toys.
5. Let your appliances do more work. Have you ever wondered whether your oven, dishwasher and refrigerator could be doing a little more to reach their full potential? If so, you probably have yet to use the new generation of smart appliances. LG’s line of SmartThinQ appliances are Wi-Fi enabled, allowing you to monitor dishwashing and laundry cycles, remotely clean the oven or even check the air quality at home from your phone or computer while you are out of the house.
Far from being a chore, spring cleaning is a celebration, a chance to chase away the stuffiness of winter and bring a fresh, revitalizing feeling into your house. With the help of new technology, it’s even easier to get a start on this season of growth and regeneration.
(BPT) - When it comes time to sell your home, not all rooms are created equal. Sure, potential buyers will walk through the entire house, but their opinion of a few primary rooms can ultimately determine whether they choose to offer or walk.
Your bathroom(s) — especially your master bathroom — are among these key rooms. As you prepare to put your home on the market, it’s time to take an honest look at these spaces. What do the bathrooms say about your house? Do they say "buy me now" or "no thanks"? If it’s the latter, then it’s time for a few home improvements that will turn the sale of your house from stale to sold.
A sound investment?
Yes, it is. In fact, bathroom remodeling projects are some of the most cost-effective improvements you can make to a home, according to HGTV. A minor bathroom remodel has an average return on investment of 102 percent at the point of sale. A major remodel returns 93 percent of your investment. That means your newly upgraded bathroom will actually help sell your home for more money in the long run.
So what are you waiting for? Improve your bathroom today with these six tips below.
* Replace that old flooring. Carpet and tiny tile flooring — offering two different looks and feels — are both similarly outdated when it comes to bathroom decor. Alternately, hardwood floors can add a more current, upgraded touch and can be achieved with water- and stain-resistant ceramic tile that looks like hardwood. This delivers a distinctively modern look in a medium ideal for the humid bathroom environment.
* A new look for a familiar soak. Nothing conveys the comfort of an extraordinary bathroom like a luxurious soak in the tub. To set your bathroom, and your home, apart from the competition, replace your existing tub with the Studio Fold Over Edge tub from American Standard. This tub uniquely allows for a custom finish to the front apron to match wall tile and décor, creating a handsomely coordinated room. Plus, the tub’s spacious bathing well and extra lumbar support mean relaxation and enjoyment for you before the sale.
* Shed a new light. Proper lighting is essential in any bathroom and up-to-date light fixtures are a great way to increase the wow factor for potential buyers. If your bathroom currently displays the outdated style of exposed bulb fixtures, try replacing them with contemporary wall sconce lights to create a look that is sure to draw your visitors' attention.
* Find a first-rate faucet. Even a perfectly functional bathroom can be discredited by potential buyers if it showcases dated brass faucets and accents. If your space is guilty, try replacing the existing faucet with an American Standard Patience bath sink faucet. Offered in widespread or single handle models, these classically chic styles allow for easy operation by all users in the home. Plus, the choice of popular polished chrome or brushed nickel finishes provides a high-style look to entice home buyers, while delivering a water-efficient performance.
* Sink that old sink. Those rounded-edge Formica sinks had their share of the limelight, but now their time has passed. Today’s modern bathrooms have become edgier, especially when it comes to sinks. Straight-edge designs, made from natural stone, quartz or contemporary solid surface material, are popular sink solutions today. Replacing your old sink with a newer style helps ensure your bathroom isn’t left behind. Home buyers notice sinks, and this is one project you should tackle for higher return when you sell.
* Shower your bathroom with a new upgrade. Your showering experience should be as customizable as it is enjoyable. The GROHE SmartControl thermostatic trim offers intuitive, push-and-turn button operation for water temperature and flow rate control, all in a sleek, low-profile design. Available in both round and square styles, in stylish chrome, brushed nickel or white finishes, it’s the shower system you’ll enjoy every morning — and so will your home’s next owners.
Start your bathroom project today
The bathroom is one of the most important rooms in your home for potential buyers. It can also be one of the most enjoyable rooms while you're still in your home. Make these upgrades to your bathroom so that you can relish these improvements, as well as entice buyers when it comes time to sell.
After a long winter cooped up indoors, spring is the perfect time to start re-imagining your home and making upgrades that create a fresh, welcoming vibe. These project ideas – some big, some small – can help breathe new life into your home so you’re ready to enjoy your favorite rooms to the fullest.
Fresh Home Upgrades for Spring
(Family Features) After a long winter cooped up indoors, spring is the perfect time to start re-imagining your home and making upgrades that create a fresh, welcoming vibe. These project ideas – some big, some small – can help breathe new life into your home so you’re ready to enjoy your favorite rooms to the fullest.
Air it out
Shift your outlook
Paint to perfection
Make what’s old new again
Get earth smart
5 Ways to Make the Most of Your 5th Wall
1. Start with a smooth canvas. This means eliminating any details like popcorn ceilings or other texturing that may appear dated and dingy.
2. Add some color. Bring character to the room by adding color to the ceiling that complements the traditional walls for a cohesive look. If you have eaves, dormers or other architectural elements, consider painting some and leaving others white for variety and added dimension.
3. Introduce natural light. When it comes from above, natural light brightens a room in a whole new way. An option like a Velux skylight is a sensible solution because it offers plenty of ways to customize the skylight to your specific space and functional needs.
4. Enhance with accessories. Both practical and attractive, blinds are a good idea for a skylight. They let you control the light, such as blocking out harsh rays during the heat of the day but letting the gentle evening light illuminate the room. In addition to choosing a style and color that complements the room decor, also look for features such as remote-control operation and room-darkening textiles.
5. Get creative. Treating your ceiling like a wall opens virtually endless possibilities. Especially if you have some unique architectural features, you can highlight them by adding special touches such as built-in shelves for extra storage or new place to nurture lush house plants.
Whether you’re seeking more natural light, access to fresh air, a sense of spaciousness or a way to bring sophistication to a room, a skylight may be just the solution. For example, Velux room-darkening and light-filtering blinds can add a splash of color just where you least expect it, and they’re efficient in shielding your space from the sun, meaning the blinds and installation are eligible for a 30 percent tax credit. Learn more at whyskylights.com.SOURCE:
Interested in Publishing on The Home Idea?
Send your query to the Publisher today!