(BPT) - A bathroom renovation is a highly desired home improvement, but many homeowners put off making updates due to the perceived cost. Fortunately, you don't need a complete remodel to get the bathroom of your dreams — nor do you need to break the bank.
These six ideas for updating a bathroom will help you elevate the space and add value to your home without a high price tag:
1. Lighting: There are three main types of lighting: ambient, task and accent. Ambient provides overall lighting, task helps you perform a function, and accent highlights certain features. You may not have all of these in the bathroom, but you can enhance functionality by evaluating existing lighting and updating if necessary. For example, new task lighting might help you get ready in the morning. If lighting is adequate, simply update fixtures for a fresh look.
2. Faucet: A focal point of the bathroom, the faucet is often overlooked as a key space for updating with impact. Replacing a faucet is one of the most affordable ways to refresh the look of the bathroom. Check out the Studio S bathroom faucet collection, which is the perfect choice if you want to add a modern touch to your bathroom without hurting your wallet.
3. Paint: It's amazing how color can transform a space. If you want to make a big impact without much investment, you can't go wrong with paint. Remember to choose a paint appropriate for the bathroom environment, where it can be more humid. Mold- and mildew-resistant options are a smart choice. When considering paint and supplies, don’t forget to look up and tackle the ceiling, too. The visual impact of a freshly coated ceiling is undeniable.
4. Toilet: Is your toilet dated and constantly dirty? Consider a new affordable upgrade that makes cleaning a breeze. The VorMax Plus self-cleaning toilet from American Standard cleans and freshens the toilet bowl with every flush, offering an effortless cleaning experience. The self-cleaning technology has been independently verified to clean the bowl two times better than conventional toilets, so enjoy putting those rubber gloves away for a while because your throne will be fit for a king or queen.
5. Hardware: Subtle details in a bathroom can tie the room together, just like the perfect necktie or necklace makes an outfit. By updating the hardware and other extras that make a space functional, you'll also be modernizing the style, which will instantly breathe new life into a tired space. Try replacing the knobs and handles on the vanity. Get a new shower rod and curtain. Update the towel rack to match and add some fresh linens. It doesn't cost much but provides a change you'll instantly appreciate.
6. Shower: Are you longing for a new shower space but think it's too difficult or expensive to upgrade? The GROHE Retro-fit Shower System is the perfect option for replacing your old shower because it installs quickly and there’s no need to get behind the wall. It works with your existing plumbing setup, so you can save time and money. Its simple installation process means less chaos, and you'll get to enjoy your new shower faster.
Updating your bathroom and staying on budget is possible with affordable enhancements that instantly transform a space. From budget-friendly paint to easy-to-install shower systems, many options can breathe new life into your bathroom spaces, adding touches of style, convenience and luxury.
(BPT) - Log onto almost any news website and in just a few clicks you’ll probably come across some story about the environment. Whether it involves international agreements, alternative energy sources or fuel-efficient cars, the discussion is often abstract and far removed from our everyday lives.
Consumers want to know what they can do and how they can contribute to making a cleaner, greener planet.
Minor changes can make a significant difference, particularly with cleaning your home. You can trade in harsh chemicals and wasteful cleaning products for sustainable methods that are just as clean, if not cleaner. Here are five ways you can clean your home the eco-friendly way.
1. Your own all-purpose cleaner. One of the easiest solutions is to make your own all-purpose cleaner. This effective solution only requires three ingredients: Two cups of distilled water, half a cup of white vinegar and 10 to 20 drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix all the ingredients into a spray bottle and voila! The vinegar is a natural antifungal that effectively kills germs and bacteria, and an essential oil like lavender will leave your house smelling great.
2. A cleaner way to mop. Unfortunately, many of the most effective ways to sweep and mop are also incredibly wasteful, requiring you to use a new disposable pad with each cleaning. The new O-Cedar ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Mop features a reusable microfiber mop head that can be machine washed up to 100 times. Plus, the reusable bottle allows you to clean with any solution you choose — whether you DIY or buy your favorite brand. Its double-sided mop head flips and covers a surface area that is over twice the size of the previous version.
3. A sparkling toilet. Many of the harshest products under your counter are probably there to get your toilet sparkling clean. But you don’t need chlorine or bleach to disinfect your toilet and leave it looking like new. Instead, once or twice a week, pour a few tablespoons of baking soda into the bowl and scrub it with a toilet brush. In addition, make a toilet cleaner out of one ounce of eucalyptus oil — a natural disinfectant — and a quart of water.
4. Want clean air? Think green, literally. Especially in the winter, smells around your house can become stagnant and it can be a real challenge to chase them away. One of the most effective and visually pleasing ways to freshen up your air quality is with selective house plants, such as:
* Rubber plants thrive in rooms that don’t get much sunlight.
* Boston ferns are some of the best indoor plants for removing pollutants such as formaldehyde.
* Peace lilies are one of the few flowering indoor plants. As such, they bring a little spring to your room and naturally remove VOCs and more from the air.
5. Castile soap. In certain sectors, castile soap enjoys a virtual cult following. This olive oil-based soap is incredibly versatile and can be used as a furniture polish, window cleaner, dish soap and more. Best of all, most varieties you find in stores are all natural and free of toxins.
Though many of the environmental issues we read about may seem like insurmountable obstacles, it is possible to make a difference just by changing how you clean your house.
Being safe and comfortable at home is a large part of living well. Home modifications and repairs can help everyone, especially older adults and people with disabilities, maintain an independent lifestyle and prevent accidents. Here’s how you can get started making your home more accessible.
Improvements for Independence
Modifications to make your home more accessible
(Family Features) Being safe and comfortable at home is a large part of living well. Home modifications and repairs can help everyone, especially older adults and people with disabilities, maintain an independent lifestyle and prevent accidents.
Many older adults prefer to stay at home for as long as possible, but too often don’t think about whether their homes will meet their needs as they age. Making improvements for independence before they are needed is a good way to ensure that a home is ready for aging in place. Forward-thinking improvements may also help prevent falls, which often cause the need for long-term care.
Many changes, such as adding grab bars in bathrooms, can be done without a major redesign or full-blown renovation. Depending on your circumstance, it may also make sense to consider things like widening doorways and lowering countertop heights for someone who uses a wheelchair.
Here’s how you can get started:
Cost and contractors
More information about home modifications, including financial assistance, can be found at eldercare.gov.
Photo courtesy of Getty ImagesSOURCE:
Administration for Community Living
Interested in Publishing on The Home Idea?
Send your query to the Publisher today!